Four pillars of our strategy
Decarbonize our Kentucky generation fleet
- Economically retire coal generation.
- Advance clean power generation and leverage future technologies.
- Maintain reliability and affordability for our Kentucky customers and support state economic development.
Drive digital innovation and R&D to enable new technologies
- Advance new technologies through research, development and innovation, in partnership with industry and research institutions.
Position the grid as an enabler for clean energy resources and drive energy efficiency and demand side management
- Leverage leading performance across our utilities to expand and modernize the grid and integrate utility-scale renewables and distributed energy resources.
- Advance electrification and support adoption of electric vehicles.
- Promote options to reduce customer energy use.
Decarbonize our non-generation operations
- Electrify fleet vehicles.
- Reduce emissions associated with our electric and gas use, including increasing renewables consumption at PPL’s company buildings.
- Assess operational improvements and investments necessary to maintain emissions rates at or below industry average across PPL’s utilities, including an assessment of gas distribution system operations.
Our path to Net-Zero
PPL has set an ambitious goal to achieve net-zero carbon emissions by 2050. In addition, we are targeting a 70% reduction from 2010 levels by 2035 and an 80% reduction by 2040.
We continue to make progress toward our goal, and we are on track to achieve our interim targets. Through 2021, we reduced carbon emissions nearly 60% from 2010 levels.
Economically transitioning our Kentucky fleet
Decarbonizing our generation fleet in Kentucky is a critical component to achieving net-zero emissions. We continue to assess the dynamic energy landscape to identify opportunities to economically support this transition and we have committed not to burn unabated coal by 2050.
We expect to retire 2,000 megawatts of coal generation over the next 15 years.
At least 1,500 MW is planned for retirement by 2028.
Enabling clean energy resources and R&D
We’re leading the way in deploying smart grid technology and automation necessary to drive deep decarbonization and accommodate more renewable energy. In addition, we’re investing in clean energy research and development to deliver on our goal of net-zero carbon emissions by 2050 while preserving energy reliability and affordability.
Invested in Energy Impact Partner’s global investment platform to help drive commercial-scale solutions needed to deliver deep, economy-wide decarbonization.
Participating in more than 100 research projects, steering key industry partnerships and collaborating with industry and academia to enable decarbonization.
Electrification and Decarbonization
We are working to make system enhancements necessary to meet electricity demand over the long term and support increased electrification of the economy, including greater adoption of electric vehicles.
100% of all PPL’s light-duty vehicles to be electrified by 2030.
Targeting about 30% decrease in energy use in buildings decrease by 2030.
Our Strategy in Action
See our clean energy strategy at work across the PPL family of companies.