PPL Electric’s long-standing appliance recycling program has a positive impact on the environment, helping customers reduce emissions and save energy.
The program was recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for outstanding performance in the agency’s first Responsible Appliance Disposal Program Leadership Awards Ceremony in October 2020.
Partners in the Responsible Appliance Disposal Program commit to collecting and disposing of old appliances such as refrigerators and freezers, window air conditioners, and dehumidifiers, using best environmental practices. While complying with laws and regulations on the recovery of refrigerant, used oil, mercury and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), partners have also committed to recovering appliance foam, promoting the recycling of all durable goods, and the permanent disposal of old, inefficient appliances to save energy.
PPL Electric received the 2020 Champion Award for “outstanding performance in foam recovery to avoid emissions of ozone-depleting substances.” This included:
• Starting their appliance recycling program in 2009 (refrigerators, freezers, room ACs).
• Adding dehumidifiers in 2017.
• Recycling over 65,500 units to date.
• Continuing an extensive customer awareness and engagement program.
• Actively highlighting and promoting energy efficiency rebate and incentive programs to encourage customer participation to save energy and money.