Focus on electrification
Electric home appliance sales skyrocketed in the 1950s. In 1946, before wartime restrictions had been fully lifted, 19,676 refrigerators had been sold in PP&L’s service territory. By 1951, 62,355 refrigerators had been sold to PP&L customers. The sale of electric ranges, water heaters, freezers and washing machines soared.
Formation of PJM Interconnection
The Pennsylvania-New Jersey Interconnection agreement, which had been signed by PP&L, Philadelphia Electric Co. and Public Service Electric & Gas Co. in 1927, and completed in 1931, was upgraded in the 1950s into one of the nation’s premier power pools.
PP&L adds more than 150 megawatts of power generation capacity with the completion of Holtwood Unit 17 and Martins Creek power generation plants.