Each day, PPL’s mission is to power homes and businesses across our service territories. Keeping the power on is a job we don’t take lightly – operational excellence is a core value at PPL and it’s a promise that we make to our more than 10 million customers in the U.S. and U.K.
That’s why we are investing almost $15 billion over the next five years to make the grid smarter, safer and more reliable — and our investments are paying off. On average, our customers have experienced 30 to 35 percent fewer outages since 2011.1
We’re proud that PPL customers experience electric service reliability that ranks among the best in the U.S. and U.K. Our companies have consistently been recognized for this premier level of service. In the U.S., PPL Electric Utilities, Louisville Gas and Electric and Kentucky Utilities rank in the top 25 percent of utilities nationwide in terms of limiting the average number of outages per customer. In the U.K., Western Power Distribution has consistently been the top-performing distribution network operator group in the U.K.’s Broad Measure of Customer Satisfaction, which includes outages, connections and customer service.
As we look forward, we’re committed to continuing to deliver this high level of service by investing in our infrastructure. Our future investments include:
- Making the grid smarter and more resilient and using technology to work more efficiently
- Strengthening physical and cyber security
- Accommodating a flexible, two-way power grid and connecting renewables
- Expanding solar offerings to more customers
- Piloting new technology, such as energy storage
- Taking steps toward reaching our goal of reducing the company’s carbon dioxide emissions 70 percent from 2010 levels by 2050
We will continue this unrelenting focus on reliability and service because we understand that our customers rely on us — there are patients who need care, students who need to learn, families that need warmth and businesses looking to welcome customers. That’s the real value our reliability delivers.